Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Character Work

 Gary Ezzo wrote in his series, "Growing Kids God's Way," that "a legalistic approach to parenting is very dangerous, leaving in its wake a frustrated child-one that fears failure rather than loves virtue."
I have been diligently working in the recent weeks with my oldest boys regarding character and how important it is to not just have obedience, but how good character is essential. My sweet friend let me know about this lady who has created a list of Godly character qualities, charts, and other books to help with teaching and encouraging Godly character traits in your children. It has been great and even little Kingston is getting a lot out of it. We work up to about 10 checks a piece (and I work really hard at watching them and pointing out to them when I see them display one of these qualities that is on the list) and then when they have gotten 10 they can get something out of the Treasure Chest which is filled with little cheap nick-knack toys like stickers, books, marbles, play dough, paintable figurines, and so on. It so excites them when they get to pick out a treat, but really they love just as much standing and listening to me explain with a Bible verse whatever quality it is that they displayed. This has been a wonderful learning tool!
The info. for these charts is 
The Courtship Connection (734-847-5210) if you want to order them for yourself.
I also purchased some ribbons to reward them with too that has the verse, "Let us not be weary in well doing" Galatians 6:9 that Alder really enjoys and the books, "Character Prayers," and "Proverbs for Parenting" both of which are great for quick references for Bible verses and to use as family devotionals. Also, I bought the book, "Child Training Tips" by Reb Bradley. This book is gold and should be read by every parent trying to achieve effective discipline and mature children. I just called the number above and spoke to the lady and she took my credit card over the phone and sent all of it right to me. Easy as pie. 
I hope this helps someone else as much as it has helped (and is helping) our little ones grow. 



No comments: