Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The thing about moving is....

You realize that as a family unit you have WAY TOO MANY socks. Seriously, how can 5 people have so many pairs of socks??? And how have I not known this until now? Gracious.
One a more serious note.....

I find myself composing this on the eve of our move away from quiet and sweet Demopolis to the embrace of home. Our original home. The place where Jared and I both grew up and the place in which we are excited to be able to raise our own children. But for the last 3 years, we have called this place home. 500 North Main Ave. It has been a wonderfully challenging last three years. We are stronger, wiser, simpler, and bit more calm in general after our time here in lower Alabama. It has been days full of long walks along the river, boat rides on the Tombigbee, adventures in house renovating, and focusing on just family, our little family. We have learned about the quiet things in life that make a day richer and that throwing a rock into water or stopping by the produce stand can be enough to fill a day. It doesn't have to be more. We have had the luxury of just having a singular purpose of raising a family unhurried by distractions that a bigger town has to offer and, at times, it has made me want to pull my hair out. However, I believe that these past 3 years have been a special gift. I would say that it has been marked by some real joys (do you see the 3 precious boys I have?) and then also filled with some real loneliness and struggle. Probably more of the later and so I feel as though tomorrow I will rise and gather my things and head to the Promised Land of home. Will we still struggle and suffer and have challenges to meet and overcome there in Chattanooga, of course. Always as long as we are on this side of Heaven, but I am proud to say that tomorrow I will certainly feel just a bit of pride as I look at how much we have "grown" as a family during this time. 
Thank you Demopolis for the opportunity to do so. 


A dear local artist drew our house for us and dropped it by this afternoon as a going away gift. My eyes filled with tears.


Rock throwing with a tugboat in the distance.
Peaceful.



4 comments:

Rayne said...

You are leaving before we can come play! W Central Al will miss you!!

tag said...

Meg! I love everything you said about the small town- something about small towns and real people without the distractions of all the extras a big city can bring. I know that your time in Demopolis was hard but it sounds like it was so rich as well. Excited for yall in the move and can't wait to hear how it goes! I know it will be so nice to be with family!

Meg Wingfield said...

Rayne, I am so sad that we didn't get to get our boys together! It would have been so fun but we will be back to Demopolis to visit since we have two homes there still. We are gonna start calling them our vacation homes. Haha. I'll fb you to let you know when we are coming to visit and maybe we could get together. Hung out with your sister and Paul a few weeks back and they said your little family seems to be doing well and settled nicely into Selma. Do glad to hear that. Ciao, M
Tyler, thanks for your kind words. We are excited to be home here in Chattanooga, but feel incredibly blessed for our experience in Demop. How are things with you? I would love to catch up soon. Xoxo. M

Tracy said...

Hey Meg!
Missed seeing you at the restaurant this weekend. I miss the sweet little faces of my little ones. I do hope you and Jared will come back to visit soon. And yes, tell Jared that you can have one more! Demopolis was truly blessed to have you'll, if only for a short time. Please visit first chance you get. I miss ya'll already! Give the boys a kiss for me please! And keep blogs and pictures coming please!