Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A good moral decision: becoming a passionate locavore




While living in England, we received a box of veggies and fruits from Riverford Farms. Over the last several years, Riverford's home delivery of locally grown AND organic fruit and vegetables has become insanely popular all across England. The box (chosen according to your needs/family size) gets dropped off at your door and all the veggies are covered in dirt. That is how fresh they are. Riverford claims that from the time they pick the veggies and you get them at your door is only about 2 days. Wow! I will say they tasted so good-unusually good! I guess that is organic for ya. Riverford also is CHEAPER than shopping in the local grocery stores in England. Could this be the case here?    

Anyways, when we moved back I wanted to try to find something like that here in the States. It has taken about 2 1/2 years, but tomorrow I will receive my first veg/fruit box from GROWALABAMA.com. I had contacted them back in the summer of 2008 when we first moved back to Demopolis in hopes that maybe GROW ALABAMA delivered close to our area. They did not, but said that if I could get 10 people/families signed up then they would drive down here once a week and deliver organic, locally grown fruits and veggies (they have fresh farm eggs too!) Well I tried and the idea pretty much fell on deaf ears except for my only other hippy friend (love ya Amanda) and so I just forgot about. Then for reasons unknown, friends started to mention it to me several weeks ago. "Did you know about this company that delivers fresh fruits and veggies?" YES! "Do you want to do it if we can get enough people?" YES, YES! So after several emails, phone calls, and work with my good friend Bets....WE DID IT! We have 13 committed people for a GROW ALABAMA delivery. 

Aren't those tomatoes beautiful? And look at those chicken below. They look so happy and free(I am told the fence around them is for protection from predators). I cannot wait to slice the tomatoes up and eat the eggs from these happy chickens. More importantly, I cannot wait to feed my family such great food AND support local farmers of Alabama and the Southeast. I cannot really explain why we all should eat locally grown produce. I have all these passionate feelings about why we should do it, but I have yet to construct a concise argument and I do not have time today as I have a mountain of ironing to do! Uggh! But, if you are curious please click on some of the video clips from both GROWALABAMA.com and Riverford Farms. I think both of the founders (even though one company is all the way across the pond) do a good job of explaining why we should all become locavores. Happy Hump Day to all of you!

1 comment:

The Morrisons said...

Glad you were able to get this started! I too am a firm believer in buying fresh, organic, locally grown food. We have started also buying our milk, eggs, and meat from a local farm that comes to our farmer's market. Delicious-especially the eggs. You won't be sorry. Your boys are precious-love to you guys.