Tuesday, May 4, 2010

"Messmaker, Messmaker, Find me a mess......"

While this one was making this mess outside, the other little one was making that mess inside. Oh me. 
I never do stop cleaning up their little messes. Yes, I get tired of bending over and picking it all up, putting it back in place, and then doing it all over again several times a day. It is tiring, but I learn so much about them as I clean up their little messes. Sounds strange, I know. 
As I clean up Alder's I can see his sheer intensity strewn about in the mess. I can see the focus he had in dismantling the parts and pieces. I can see where he did not stop to notice the world around him. I can see the passion. I can see how quickly it must have taken him and how frustrated he felt when an object did not bounce, fall, or hit the right way. 
As a mother I guess it is just kind of normal to notice these intimate details about the children that grew inside of you for 9 months, that nursed at your breast for months and months, that you spend 12+ hours a day with, and that you love with every ounce of your being.
I can tell in the messes that King King makes that he is slow. He is slow and calculated. He picks up every piece, every part and examines it. He will often rub it to his face (be it hard or soft) as if he is really trying to get to know it, its purpose, and its smell. King King can disappear into "dark corners" of the house quietly and make messes for the longest time. When I go to find him, call his name, and find him he often looks up at me, points his finger at me, and then looks back down at his "work". He has no interest in me picking him up and entertaining him. He is busy and so I leave him alone. I realize that although these antics of my little fellows may drive me batty they are learning so much, creating their own play, and their brains are just firing away in those precious heads of theirs.







No comments: