Tuesday, March 4, 2008

A Good Night's Sleep=A Fluke

Well, Alder does not seem to think sleeping through the night is something he wants to do anymore. Too cool for it I guess. So I have fallen back into that fog of early motherhood once again. Bless his heart though he's just so precious and I do not mind the middle of the night feedings. Sleeping during the day is a whole different story. Honestly, I do not have as much patience when he does not sleep during the day as I do at 4:00 in the morning. I cannot figure it out. He fights it and fights it. After crying himself to sleep for oh... 20 minutes, wiggling himself all the way to bottom of his crib laying now sideways and completely under his blanket he will then manage to wake himself up after 30 minutes or so. He will wail and scream and I have to start the process all over again. Yesterday though I just had to take some pictures. I went in to wake him up to nurse and found him at the bottom of the crib hidden by the blanket (this was not the first time) and when I pulled it back he was waking up in a pool of sweat. His hair was soaking wet and beads of sweat were pouring off his head. His little day gown was wet and his face was beet red. No telling how long he slept like that. I picked him up and he was just smiling at me. Now how come he did not wake himself up from that? Oh well...I hope that he will get the whole sleep thing, both day and night, down soon.


This is Alder completely covered under his blanket

2 comments:

Ginny said...

Sounds like Micah as a newborn! He fought those day naps like crazy. Sometimes in the afternoon I would just hold him and rock him because I knew he was soooo tired. Keep up the good work. Training them to sleep well and fall asleep on their own is not always easy but WELL worth it. Hopefully, he will go back to sleeping all night soon, though I miss those middle of the nights (with Micah) sometimes too. Owen never got much attention at 4 am because I was too tired (Ha!). Hope all is well.

allison said...

Unpredictability is so frustrating! He'll get the hang of it sometime... hang in there.

Love you.