Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Trying to force Spring


I love Spring. It has gotten so warm down here in the lower south that we are playing and staying outside most of the day. I got this idea from my Mom to force some bulbs in pots for our indoor enjoyment this spring. You need to get pre-chilled bulbs for the forcing to be a success and that tulips, crocus, hyacinths, paper whites, and daffodils all can be successfully "forced" to grow indoors. I absolutely have a BLACK thumb and always have, but I am hopeful that this time it will be different. I really am hoping that these bulbs all grow into beautiful blooms that brighten our home during this early spring season. I ordered some bulbs off the internet, received them in the mail a few days later, collected some pots together, filled them with gravel, and planted the bulbs down into the gravel, added enough water for the roots to take hold and grow, and in just a few days we have seen major growth. When the bulbs get a little larger I will then place moss around the bulbs so to cover the not so attractive gravel. I used this as a project with Alder to teach some basic "science" ideas. He loved the project and now has the job of spraying them down with some water every few days (of course I add more water as well since it is important to either keep changing the water or adding to it). I'll let you know if my BLACK thumb prevails or if we have beautiful spring flowers in a few weeks. 
The hyacinth bulbs....
4 tulip bulbs in one of the white pots. My pots DO NOT have holes in them and I am assured that as long as there is plenty of gravel for drainage it should all work fine.

My little sprayer...

The hyacinth bulbs planted.
                                    
And our little Kingser whom we adore. Isn't he precious? We think so.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

wow- look at their haircuts! cute! fun project and i can't believe it's 22 days til due date!